In a landmark ruling that has far-reaching implications for foreign nationals residing in Spain, the Supreme Court has recently delivered a groundbreaking judgment, bringing much-needed clarity to a longstanding question: how long can foreign nationals be outside Spain and still maintain their residency status?
Maria Luisa Castro
Director and Founder
Expertise: All aspects of Residency, Family, Real Estate and Commercial Law in Spain
Education: University of Seville, Catholic University of America, University of Navarra
- Leading expat lawyer in Spain
- Proud to be recommended by the UK and Irish embassies
- Winner of a landmark sentence in 2012 in Spain’s high court against off-plan property developer’s banks, paving the way for thousands of claims against irregular building and banking practices.
- Registered Lawyer number 2745 of the Cadiz Bar Association and is licensed to practice in all areas of law throughout Spain.
- Languages – English, Spanish, Italian and Portuguese
I founded CostaLuz Lawyers in 2006 with the idea of attracting property investment to the Costa de la Luz in southern Spain and help English-speaking foreigners buying property to retire to, live in or spend holidays in Spain.
My founding principle was to help foreigners understand how Spanish law works and get the best possible outcome for their interests. This mission now forms one of the pillars of CostaLuz Lawyers.
In Spain, no single national law regulates holiday lets. As a decentralised state, the central government decided to have region-specific regulations for tourism. This is because each Autonomous Community has unique tourism markets and needs, making it more appropriate for them to develop their own legislation for tourism and vacation rentals.
Any taxpayer who is resident in Spain and is claiming a pension from abroad must make a number of considerations to avoid any nasty surprises, especially regarding taxation. When in …
The Supreme Court of Spain has recently made a major decision that has significant implications for foreign citizens holding temporary residence permits. In a groundbreaking ruling, the Court declared article …