In today’s digital age, it’s increasingly common and easier to carry out administrative procedures online. This saves you considerable time and effort since you can now do paperwork while at your computer without having to visit an office. However, to do this, you need a digital certificate.
In this article, we look at why you need a digital certificate and what you can do with it. We then explain how to apply for one.
Why you need a digital certificate in Spain
Having your digital certificate on your device saves you considerable time and effort. You’ll find administrative tasks easier and quicker if you can do them online rather than having to go to an office, queue and then carry out the paperwork task.
Admin tasks you can do with a digital certificate in Spain
Many everyday tasks can now be done online quickly and easily with a digital certificate, such as:
- Tax administration – completing and submitting tax returns, checking previous tax returns, changing your contact details etc.
- Social security administration – checking your social security contributions, the time left before you can collect a pension, changing your contact details etc.
- Immigration procedures – obtaining an appointment for visa and permit applications, paying fees online, submitting additional documentation etc.
- Legal procedures – consulting the court and justice systems, filing appeals, submitting additional documentation etc.
- Driving administration – consulting the number of points on your licence, finding out if you have any driving fines etc.
How to apply for a digital certificate in Spain
Your first step is to ensure you have a foreigner’s identity number (NIE) because you cannot apply for a digital certificate without one.
- Get the right software
Depending on the operating system your device uses, you need to download and install the correct software. You can find the appropriate download via this link.
The download includes instructions on how to install the software on your device.
- Apply for a digital certificate
You next need to apply for the certificate via this website.
- Fill in your NIE and surname and provide a valid email address.
- Click on this link Pulse aquí para consultar y aceptar las condiciones de expedición del certificado and click the box confirming that you accept the conditions.
- Click on Enviar petición.
- Choose a password for your certificate – do this by clicking on Abrir in the popup screen, adding the password and confirming it (make a note of it!), and clicking on Confirmar.
- Verify your identity
Next, you receive an email containing a link and an application code. Take this email and your personal ID (passport plus proof of NIE) to an approved office. You must show your ID and the email to the person at the digital certificate desk.
You can find a list of offices in Spain here – tick the box ‘persona física’ and zoom in on your area. Note that if you choose a tax office, you need to make an appointment.
- Download your digital certificate
Once you have verified your identity, you receive another email that includes a link to download your certificate. Download and install it on your device (click on Instalar).
Need help with getting a digital certificate in Spain?
If the above sounds a little too complicated, then we’ll be happy to assist you in obtaining and downloading your digital certificate. Just get in touch with our team or fill in the form below.